Volunteer & Internship
Abhivyakti Foundation is involved in training and internship programme for Student come from Delhi School of Social work, Tata Institute of Social Science and Indian Institute of Foreign Trade for internship programme. Highlights of these organizations are as follows:
Delhi School of Social Work
DSSW was established in August 1946 as The National Y.W.C.A. School of Social Work at Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
and became the second school of social work in India after Tata Institute of Social Sciences .It was set up by the
Y.W.C.A of India, Burma and Ceylon (which is now known as National Y.W.C.A of India) with substantial assistance
from the Foreign division of the Y.W.C.A of United States. It started a one year programme to give training in social
work to the women who were demobilsed by the armed services, known as the Women’s Auxiliary Corps of
India. Ms. Nora Ventura who was then the Secretary of Religious Education Committee of the Y.W.C.A,took the
directorship of the school which had two students - one from Sindh and the other from Bengal.Towards the end of
1946, Elmina R. Lucke of Y.W.C.A took over as the consultant organiser of the school.
In 1948, the school was shifted to Delhi with the support of Sir Maurice Gwyer, then Vice-Chancellor of University of
Delhi and started offering social work courses of varying duration.It functioned from the old Air Force Barracks
located on the corner of the Mall Road and 3 - University Road. By March 1949, the school became an “autonomus
post-graduate institution of the Faculty of Social Service of the University of Delhi”and the name was changed to
Delhi School of Social Work; Dorothy Moses was appointed as the First Principal of the School. DSSW was
managed by Delhi School of Social Work Society with representatives of the Y.W.C.A, the Ministries of Education
and Health and the University of Delhi in its board.
In 1953, Miss Moses left the school to take up an assignment on behalf of the UNESCO in Ceylon. M.S.
Gore succeeded Miss Moses as Principal who served the institution till 1962. During the tenure of Prof. S.N.Ranade,
DSSW witnessed its larger integration with University of Delhi. In April 1961 DSSW was taken over by University of
Delhi, with its Ph.D program and M.Phil program beginning in 1965 and 1976 respectively. The CCAW was set up
by DSSW in 1971 to provide free diagnostic and therapeutic services to children and their families with emotional
and behavioural problems.In 1979 Delhi School of Social Work (DSSW) became the Department of Social Work,
University of Delhi. Since 1992 it has been recognized as the Department of Special Assistance (DSA) by the
University Grants Commission. In 1994, Bachelors Degree in Social work was introduced in two undergraduate colleges of Delhi University.
In 2008 the Department of Social work initiated a flood relief and rehabilitation project called UDAI(University for
Development Action and Integrated learning) for 2008 Bihar flood victims under the aegis of University of Delhi. In
the same year, National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) set up its State Training and Resource Centre (STRC) at
DSSW for the capacity building of partner organizations implementing Targeted Intervention projects for High Risk
Groups(HRG)of HIV with Delhi State AIDS Control Society. In 1992, the University Grants Commission recognized it
as a Department of Special Assistance (DSA).In 2009, a Gender Resource Centre was granted by the Governing
Council of Mission Convergence under the Chief Secretary, Government of NCT of Delhi to Centre for Community
Action and Development at the Department.
The Department of Social Work has been ranked consecutively as the second best school of social work in India,
since 2011 by the Outlook MDRA Survey
TATA Institute of Social Science
The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) was established in 1936 as the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of
Social Work. In 1944, it was renamed as the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The year 1964 was an important
landmark in the history of the Institute, when it was declared Deemed to be a University under Section 3 of the
University Grants Commission Act (UGC), 1956.
Since its inception, the Vision of the TISS has been to be an institution of excellence in higher education that
continually responds to changing social realities through the development and application of knowledge, towards
creating a people-centred, ecologically sustainable and just society that promotes and protects dignity, equality,
social justice and human rights for all. The TISS works towards its Vision through
Since being set up in 1963 by Government of India as a Centre of Excellence in International Trade and Business, Indian
Institute of Foreign Trade has come a long way to establish itself as a top business school and pioneering research
institution engaged in nourishing budding talents in this domain. It has also evolved as a major training center for capacity building in the promotion of country's foreign trade and investment.
In 53 year of its existence, IIFT has spread its wings across the globe and has presence all over the world though its
illustrious alumni base. The Alumni of IIFT are front ranking executives and business leaders and have made their Alma
Mater proud with their achievements. Through its well-structured course curriculum, world class faculty, sound alumni base
and unstinted support of the Department of Commerce, IIFT has been able to secure 100% placements for its students
continuously for a decade now, which puts it above its peer institutions. It has become a matter of immense pride for all
aspirants to become a member of IIFT.
IIFT was conferred the status of a “Deemed University” in 2002 and was reaccredited with “A” Grade by NAAC in 2015.
Besides its flag ship MBA full time program and part time MBA programs for working executives, IIFT now conducts a
bouquet of Training Programs for corporates, PSUs and Government officers. It also offers diversified Management
Development Programmes and executive diploma programs, tailor made for working executives of the industry, apart from
numerous certificate programs on export promotion and foreign languages. The Institute has also signed MOUs with
leading institutions in the world for mutual exchange of expertise in the area of International Trade and Business. IIFT has also expanded its presence to Kolkata where a new campus operating in almost 7 acres of land has been operationalized
during 2015. It also runs an MBA program in Dar-e- Salaam with an objective to harness talent in a friendly country.