Delhi School of Social Work
DSSW was established in August 1946 as The National Y.W.C.A. School of Social Work at Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh and became the second school of social work in India after Tata Institute of Social Sciences .It was set up by the Y.W.C.A of India, Burma and Ceylon (which is now known as National Y.W.C.A of India) with substantial assistance from the Foreign division of the Y.W.C.A of United States. It started a one year programme to give training in social work to the women who were demobilsed by the armed services, known as the Women’s Auxiliary Corps of India. Ms. Nora Ventura who was then the Secretary of Religious Education Committee of the Y.W.C.A,took the directorship of the school which had two students - one from Sindh and the other from Bengal.Towards the end of 1946, Elmina R. Lucke of Y.W.C.A took over as the consultant organiser of the school.
In 1948, the school was shifted to Delhi with the support of Sir Maurice Gwyer, then Vice-Chancellor of University of Delhi and started offering social work courses of varying duration.It functioned from the old Air Force Barracks located on the corner of the Mall Road and 3 - University Road. By March 1949, the school became an “autonomus post-graduate institution of the Faculty of Social Service of the University of Delhi”and the name was changed to Delhi School of Social Work; Dorothy Moses was appointed as the First Principal of the School. DSSW was managed by Delhi School of Social Work Society with representatives of the Y.W.C.A, the Ministries of Education and Health and the University of Delhi in its board.
In 2008 the Department of Social work initiated a flood relief and rehabilitation project called UDAI(University for Development Action and Integrated learning) for 2008 Bihar flood victims under the aegis of University of Delhi. In the same year, National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) set up its State Training and Resource Centre (STRC) at DSSW for the capacity building of partner organizations implementing Targeted Intervention projects for High Risk Groups(HRG)of HIV with Delhi State AIDS Control Society. In 1992, the University Grants Commission recognized it as a Department of Special Assistance (DSA).In 2009, a Gender Resource Centre was granted by the Governing Council of Mission Convergence under the Chief Secretary, Government of NCT of Delhi to Centre for Community Action and Development at the Department.
The Department of Social Work has been ranked consecutively as the second best school of social work in India, since 2011 by the Outlook MDRA Survey
TATA Institute of Social Science
The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) was established in 1936 as the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work. In 1944, it was renamed as the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The year 1964 was an important landmark in the history of the Institute, when it was declared Deemed to be a University under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act (UGC), 1956. Since its inception, the Vision of the TISS has been to be an institution of excellence in higher education that continually responds to changing social realities through the development and application of knowledge, towards creating a people-centred, ecologically sustainable and just society that promotes and protects dignity, equality, social justice and human rights for all. The TISS works towards its Vision through
Since being set up in 1963 by Government of India as a Centre of Excellence in International Trade and Business, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade has come a long way to establish itself as a top business school and pioneering research institution engaged in nourishing budding talents in this domain. It has also evolved as a major training center for capacity building in the promotion of country's foreign trade and investment.
In 53 year of its existence, IIFT has spread its wings across the globe and has presence all over the world though its illustrious alumni base. The Alumni of IIFT are front ranking executives and business leaders and have made their Alma Mater proud with their achievements. Through its well-structured course curriculum, world class faculty, sound alumni base and unstinted support of the Department of Commerce, IIFT has been able to secure 100% placements for its students continuously for a decade now, which puts it above its peer institutions. It has become a matter of immense pride for all aspirants to become a member of IIFT.
IIFT was conferred the status of a “Deemed University” in 2002 and was reaccredited with “A” Grade by NAAC in 2015. Besides its flag ship MBA full time program and part time MBA programs for working executives, IIFT now conducts a bouquet of Training Programs for corporates, PSUs and Government officers. It also offers diversified Management Development Programmes and executive diploma programs, tailor made for working executives of the industry, apart from numerous certificate programs on export promotion and foreign languages. The Institute has also signed MOUs with leading institutions in the world for mutual exchange of expertise in the area of International Trade and Business. IIFT has also expanded its presence to Kolkata where a new campus operating in almost 7 acres of land has been operationalized during 2015. It also runs an MBA program in Dar-e- Salaam with an objective to harness talent in a friendly country.